Thursday Night is game night at our home and these sweet and tangy Sloppy Joes bring back childhood memories of competitive banter over long games of Monopoly. I don’t think I ever actually landed on Boardwalk, but would somehow end up with the valuable Park Place/Boardwalk combo every time and love to see the joy on my kiddos faces when they finally build hotels on this prime real estate. DH, (dearest hubby), always claims the first first and lowest priced Purple properties, (maybe Baltic Ave and something else?). They don’t pay much but are a steady stream of income as people pass Go and land on his affordable housing options. Enjoy this vintage dish with your loved ones and clear the table for hours of Monopoly! (Our games often last into the weekend! Sometimes, we give all players a Cash Bonus so we can continue playing, because life isn’t about the destination/winning- it’s the journey that matters.)
- 1 lb. ground beef (or turkey, if that’s your thing)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In large skillet, brown the meat over medium heat.
- Add salt/pepper, garlic and onion powder: continue browning.
- Add everything else, simmer for a few minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes to thicken.
Enjoy! Serve with whole-grain hamburger buns, sliced cheese, dijon mustard and mild banana pepper rings! I like to serve mine with pickles, coleslaw and potato chips to give this a fun picnic vibe.