Fridays are for weekend preparation and a hearty Pot Roast is just the dish to fill your home with delicious aromas and fill your bellies with a savory and healthy meal. When I prepare this dish, I double the sauce and freeze it so I can grab it on a busy day! This is a lazy version of Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon, but it’s so yummy!
- 3-4 lb. pot roast
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. Burgundy or red wine
- 1/2 c. Flour or Arrowroot to Thicken
- 1/2 lb. potatoes, washed, peeled and quartered
- Salt & Pepper the roast & onions, place in crock pot fat side on top.
- Mix the sauce in a large bowl. Set aside a cup or two of the sauce to be added at end to freshen up the flavor.
- Pour sauce over the roast.
- Cook on low 7 hours.
- Warm the left-over sauce in the microwave, then thicken by whisking flour in with fork. (I make mine really thick because it will dissipate once added to the other liquid. The warmth of the liquid will activate the flour; mixing it outside the crock-pot will eliminate clumps.)
- Pour in crock-pot, add potatoes, stir and continue cooking for another hour.
Enjoy! This hearty dish has a scrumptious gravy that Paris well with egg noodles or mashed potatoes!